The centerpiece of the State Fair agricultural programs is the Merrill Award Living Exhibit known as “The Farm”. Presented by Save Mart Supermarkets. There are plenty of activities for the entire family to enjoy here at The Farm.
HOURS OF OPERATION:
Monday – Thursday, 11a.m. – 8p.m.
Friday – Sunday, 10a.m. – 8p.m.
The first California State Fair was held in 1854 to bring together primarily members of the agricultural community to share knowledge and compete for recognition of their accomplishments. Now, the State Fair showcases California agriculture and the important role this industry plays in our State’s economy.
“Urban Farming” – NEW!
This new addition to our widely popular “Farm” exhibit will allow the public to learn and see ways in which they can join the food movement by growing their own fruits and vegetables. “Urban Farming” will showcase container gardening, edible landscapes and various methods of growing produce in limited space dwellings. The new “Urban Farming” area will highlight gardening methods such as square foot gardening, no dig/no till gardening, companion planting, potager or kitchen garden, recycle gardens, and even how to grow your own beer garden! This new addition to the Farm is sure to be a hit with the public.
- Try one of the featured methods! Square Foot Gardening
DID YOU KNOW?
- The “Farm”, a 3 acre facility at the California State Fair, produced over 8,360 pounds of fresh produce to two local food banks in 2012.
- The “Farm” annually grows 17 different crops representing commercial agriculture production in California.
- The “Farm” offers the public an opportunity to view approx. 24 different live insects, reptiles, and invertebrates.
- “The Farm” has a “Dirt to Dish” kitchen program where chefs prepare dishes grown from Farm produce to show fairgoers how quick and easy it can be to prepare healthy, nutritious meals with fresh ingredients.
- “Save our Water” is a program within the Farm that features presentations, and demonstrations for water wise gardening. Within the Farm there are 14 small demonstration gardens totaling 650 square feet that feature water saving plants.
- “The Farm” has a “Certified Farmers Market of California”
“Dirt to Dish” Kitchen Recipes
Thank you to our donors!Green Acres Nursery & Supply Roseville- Sacramento- Folsom www.iDigGreenAcres.com BD Ranch & Apiary Wilton, CA www.beesarelife.com Plantel Nurseries Santa Maria, CA http://www.plantelnurseries.com/ Green Growth Industries 6060 Sunrise Vista Drive, Suite 1240 Citrus Heights, CA 95610 (916) 722- 8830 Bonnie Plants 23975 E. Milton Road Linden, CA 95236 (209) 887-2300